LIMITED STOCK - AVAILABLE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST
A total of 300 cars were built by the PRR at Altoona between July 17, 1948, and October 11, 1948, in number series 253500-253799. Welded construction was used for both the superstructure and the underframe. The material was high tensile steel. The cars had a plain welded roof and 14 roof hatches, each with 3 by 3 opening. The metal running boards were Apex Tri-Lok. There were four bulkheads, creating five bays, each having two hopper openings measuring 13 by 24. The hopper bottom mechanism was furnished by Enterprise Railway Equipment Co. The horizontal sliding doors were hand operated, using a rack and pinion. The trucks were Class 2E-F22A, made by American Steel Foundries with Type A-3 Ride Control. The couplers were Type E with Imperial rotary bottom operated uncoupling devices. There were four PRR paint and lettering schemes on this car. First was the Circle Keystone (CK) as delivered in Freight Car Color (FCC) with white lettering. Second, some shopped cars received the gray body color with the CK scheme in black. Third, some had the Shadow Keystone (SK) with gray body color with black lettering. And lastly, the Plain Keystone (PK) scheme with gray body color with black lettering was also used. In addition to the PRR schemes, they were also painted in both Penn Central (gray and green) and Conrail (gray and red) schemes.