After losing the family farm, Fred & his brother Red started their restaurant at the height of the depression in 1933 along Route 66 in the desert. Serving "famous" hamburgers, chili and other short order items the brothers prospered. The brothers sold the restaurant in the 1960's and retired to Palm Springs. The couple that bought the restaurant retained the name and the menu and prospered too, that is until the old highway was bypassed by the new Interstate Highway. Fred and Red's is still open on the lonely desert highway, but business is slow and the structure is showing its age.
The previous history is a purely fictional account. But hamburger and short order restaurants like this were, and still are, located all over the United States. Fred & Red's depicts a restaurant that has seen better days and would be at home in any business district, industrial area or as a roadside stop.
Kit features laser-cut floor, aged sidewalk, roofing, interior and exterior walls with tab and slot connections. Exterior walls are aged clapboard and etched with nail holes. Also includes laser-cut window glazing, peel-n-stick doors, peel-n-stick trim, and peel-n-stick roofing for easy assembly. Window frames are injection molded plastic. Also includes signs, burglar bars, lampshades and cast metal smoke jack. And last but not least a laser-cut "open" sign and a rooftop "eat" sign.